The YMCA is for everyone!

Income-Based Membership & Programming

We are happy to offer financial assistance so that everyone can participate in our programs and services, regardless of their ability to pay. Assistance is available for membership, child care, youth and adult programs, and summer camp.

About Financial Assistance

YMCA Financial Assistance is available to individuals and families who provide complete documentation showing their inability to pay the full rate. Funding is made possible by the YMCA's Annual Campaign, and other generous community donors.

Those who do not wish to provide their financial information may join at any time at the full membership rate.

Annual Household Income 1 person per
2 people per
3 people per
4 people per
5+ people per
$0 - $14,999​ 90% 90% 90% 90% 90%
$15,000 - $24,999​ 70% 90% 90% 90% 90%
$25,000 - $31,999 50% 70% 90% 90% 90%
$32,000 - $39,999 30% 50% 70% 70% 70%
$40,000 - $49,999   30% 50% 70% 70%
$50,000 - $59,999     30% 50% 50%
$60,000 - $69,999       30% 30%

How to Apply

  • Please fill out the form linked below. Forms are also available at either Member Services Desk.
  • Be sure to complete the following steps thoroughly and accurately – note that incomplete applications will not be reviewed. All records will be kept confidential.
  • If applicable, please also complete a membership application form, child care enrollment or camp/program registration at the time of submitting this application.
  • Provide proof of all monthly or yearly gross income for anyone 18 years or older in the household, preferably your most recent 1040 Federal Tax Refund (W2s will not be accepted). In place of the 1040 form, please provide TWO of the following: 
    • Letter of projected income – if you have changed employers within the last 30 days
    • Payroll check stubs – for the last 30 days
  • Additionally, if you receive any of the following benefits, we require proof to be submitted to process your application:
    • SNAP, TANF, and/or housing subsidy
    • Child support, alimony, or foster care payments
    • Unemployment, SSI, or SSDI benefits
  • You will be notified if you are required to submit additional proof of income.

Financial Assistance Application

Additional Information

  • A new financial assistance application – with updated proofs of income – must be submitted every year.
  • If your household size, dependencies, income, or needs change at any time you must complete a Financial Aid Amendment Form, linked below. An amendment form is also available at either Member Services Desk.
  • If further documentation or additional steps are required before we can process your application, a YMCA team member will contact you at the phone number and/or email address specified on this form. This may include, but is not limited to:
    • Filling out a membership application or completing a program/camp registration
    • Providing proof of residency or dependency
    • Applying for county child care assistance
  • Membership & Programs Assistance: Financial assistance recipients may choose to pay monthly via cash, check, money order or credit or by setting up a regular bank draft (drafted on 1st or 15th of each month). Approved recipients do not need to pay the enrollment fee.
  • Child Care Assistance: To qualify for financial assistance, you must be currently enrolled or in the process of enrolling at one of our child care programs
  • It could take up to ten business days to process your application. By providing an up-to-date email address you may receive a faster response about the status of your application.

Financial Assistance Amendment Form


If you are curious about the status of your application or if you have any questions about YMCA Financial Assistance, please reach out to our team at and we would be happy to help.

Documentation Resources

The below links and resources may be helpful when gathering documentation for proof of income.

Federal & State Resources
Accepted Forms of Income Verification
  • 1040 Federal Tax Return - Preferred
    • Approved 1040 federal tax return document options: 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ, 1040NR, 1040X, or 1040 Schedule C
    • W2s will not be accepted
    • Handwritten forms are not valid
  • Letter of Projected Income (if you have changed employers within the last 30 days)
  • Social Security Income (SSI) or Social Security Disability Income (SSDI)
  • Government Assistance (MFIP) - Example: food stamps, grants, loans, cash allowances, rental assistance, childcare assistance
  • Unemployment Statement
  • Letter of Termination from employer
  • Pay Stubs for each working adult (4 weeks) find weekly average to show change from tax document
  • Self-Employed: 1040 income on Schedule C or quarterly income statement. Income before deductions
  • ND/MN Care or Medical Assistance (MA) letter stating who is eligible or covered by it.
    • A copy of the card is not acceptable documentation
  • Pensions or Retirement
  • Child Support Income & Alimony payments
  • Bank Statements that show income source (minimum of 3 months)
  • Letter of Financial Statement from an organization that has knowledge of the applicant’s financial support status, household size and situation.
    • This must be on letterhead and cannot be a relative, a personal friend, or a YMCA team member. This is not required unless needed for a second verification.
  • Student Loan living expense portion.
    • If there is not current income verification, zero income, negative income or not approved documentation of income, an application will not be processed.
Accepted Forms of Proof of Dependency
  • Dependents claimed on approved 1040 federal tax return documents
  • Free School Lunch Program Letter
  • Social Security Income (SSI) or Social Security Disability Income (SSDI)
    • Benefit will be addressed to the parent, but child’s name will be listed on the same document
  • Professional Letter from Landlord
  • Government Assistance Documentation Listing Household Size
  • MN Care or Medical Assistance (MA) documentation or letter stating who is eligible or insured with the same address listed as parent or guardians
    • A copy of the card is not acceptable documentation)
  • If Renting or Leasing children’s name is listed on the lease as living in the household
  • Child Support Statement showing how much they are paying out, receiving, or showing 50% custody. (If children are not claimed as dependents when filing taxes each year.)
  • Report Card from School with parent or guardian’s name and child’s name present
  • Transfer of Parental Rights notarized or legal documentation
  • Custody Agreement legal documentation or a signed document on letterhead, from a mediator.
  • Adopted or Foster Children documentation (foster child GA income should be included in total income)
  • Letter from a Guardian ad Litem working with the family.